I graduated from C.W. Baker High School in June of 1989. Last night, I gathered with a considerable number of my classmates for the first, of many, celebrations to commemorate that occasion.
While talking with so many people that I haven’t seen in a very long time, I got to wondering… What else has happened in the last twenty years.
Since we all graduated in 1989:
- An earthquake strikes the San Francisco Bay area on Oct. 19 just before a World Series game.
- Michael Milken pleads guilty to junk bond fraud-related charges.
- The U.S. and its allies defeat Iraq in the Persian Gulf War I.
- South Central Los Angeles is racked by riots after a jury acquits four white policemen in the beating of black motorist Rodney King.
- Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton is elected president.
- The Branch Davidian compound near Waco, Texas was raided and destroyed.
- Whitewater, re-election, Monica, impeachment, hilarity, etc.
- Timothy McVeigh and the Oklahoma City bombing.
- The gloves did not fit – they did acquit.
- Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta disrupted by a bombing.
- Gore vs. Bush vs. Hanging Chads
- Persian Gulf War II
- Sniper shootings in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia.
- The space shuttle Columbia disaster.
- Martha Stewart is convicted of conspiracy and obstruction of justice.
- Martha Stewart redecorates her prison cell.
- Indian Ocean tsunami
- The devastation of the Gulf Coast
- The iPod
I’m sure there are more… in fact, I’m certain that I’ve left out a number of crucial events. If you have any that you think should be in the list, please speak up in the comments.
On a personal note, I’d like to add:
- Found a wonderful woman
- Convinced that woman to marry me
- Had a son
- Moved back to New York
- Had a son
- Celebrated ten wonderful years of marriage
Thanks again to everyone at the reunion event last night. It really was great to see all of you. It was more than a little strange to see so many faces, and not be able to remember the names.